The heart of the Crichton
The last major development of the original Crichton Royal Hospital to be built was Easterbrook Hall with its commanding position on the estate and imposing architecture, it really is an impressive building. Easterbrook Hall is a category B listed red sandstone building on a rectangular plan with perfectly symmetrical main elevations. Externally and internally the building is notable for a wealth of classical Art Deco detail. The building also has an exceptional setting on a raised terrace facing the Crichton Memorial Church, beautiful lawns and open landscape of the scenic Nith Estuary.
Completed in 1938, having been in planning for over 20 years, Easterbrook Hall was the brainchild of Dr Charles Easterbrook – the dynamic medical superintendent in charge of the hospital from 1907 to 1937. The idea behind Easterbrook was conceived following extensive research in the USA and Canada into providing recreational facilities for mental health patients.
After the closure of the original mental health facilities, Easterbrook was still used by the NHS for hydrotherapy in the building’s swimming pool sited in the East wing as well as for lectures, dentistry and exercise classes. After several years of detailed planning and fundraising, Easterbrook was refurbished into the modern facility we know today and re-opened its doors in May 2006.